• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CBR650R Will the 2024 model feature ride by wire and a blipper?

Krypteia

CBR650R
Jun 11, 2023
Riding Since
Honda got me confused with their e clutch. Will the bikes that have it also get the blipper? Would it be able to be retrofitted to older generation of CBR?

Cláudio Nogueira

CB650R ABS
Jan 26, 2022
Portugal
Riding Since
Honda got me confused with their e clutch. Will the bikes that have it also get the blipper? Would it be able to be retrofitted to older generation of CBR?
Hello.

The blipper seems to be present. I believe its function is to sense the pedal actuation and trigger the clutch electronic control. I don't see it a different way, system has to know / feal you are acting on the pedal.
The mechanical cable is still present, seems to be a redundancy. You can take control of the clutch over the system if you want.
I can´t imagine it being retrofitted, because of the lack of the electronic control. Probably there are some mechanical incompatibilities on the clutch itself, despite the engine cover seems to be mating the engine the same way.
Everything can be done, but I don't see Honda leaving the door open to that, has it would potentially cause them allot of trouble and create discredit on the system. But let's wait and see if anyone does it ;-)
I would be surprised if they allow that retrofitting, but I was already surprised by the fact that they invested on the CB modernization.

Cláudio Nogueira

CB650R ABS
Jan 26, 2022
Portugal
Riding Since
Hello.

The blipper seems to be present. I believe its function is to sense the pedal actuation and trigger the clutch electronic control. I don't see it a different way, system has to know / feal you are acting on the pedal.
The mechanical cable is still present, seems to be a redundancy. You can take control of the clutch over the system if you want.
I can´t imagine it being retrofitted, because of the lack of the electronic control. Probably there are some mechanical incompatibilities on the clutch itself, despite the engine cover seems to be mating the engine the same way.
Everything can be done, but I don't see Honda leaving the door open to that, has it would potentially cause them allot of trouble and create discredit on the system. But let's wait and see if anyone does it ;-)
I would be surprised if they allow that retrofitting, but I was already surprised by the fact that they invested on the CB modernization.
Ha... and I can imagine Honda would charge for the necessary parts, nearly the same our used bikes value ;-)
That is the best way to demotivate people of doing it.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
A blipper is part of the up/down quickshifter so yeah, it should have one.

As far as the E-Clutch I would highly doubt it could be retrofitted because if all the integration into the ECU, sensors and other programming elements. And they say it’s very similar to the DCT Honda already offers and I’ve never seen it heard anyone adding that to a non-DCT model so I would say no.

If you’re talking about adding the up/down quickshifter again, unless you can add that programming into the older ECU I do not see that as possible; especially since it’s not throttle-by-wire. It also doesn’t seem like it’s stand alone on the E-Clutch bikes according to this Cycle World look at it:

Cláudio Nogueira

CB650R ABS
Jan 26, 2022
Portugal
Riding Since
A blipper is part of the up/down quickshifter so yeah, it should have one.

As far as the E-Clutch I would highly doubt it could be retrofitted because if all the integration into the ECU, sensors and other programming elements. And they say it’s very similar to the DCT Honda already offers and I’ve never seen it heard anyone adding that to a non-DCT model so I would say no.

If you’re talking about adding the up/down quickshifter again, unless you can add that programming into the older ECU I do not see that as possible; especially since it’s not throttle-by-wire. It also doesn’t seem like it’s stand alone on the E-Clutch bikes according to this Cycle World look at it:

I was surprised that they kept the cable actuated throtle! That would have opened numerous possibilities, together with the e-clutch.

Redrocket

CBR650R
Mar 17, 2023
Riding Since
They have kept the manual clutch on the e-clutch model to get over the issue some have with their Honda DCT models ie slow speed turns where those riders used to controlling using the clutch can now still have that option if wanted as it overrides the e-clutch. (A bit like the gear lever that could be added to the earlier NC DCT bikes).

I read somewhere when the idea of the e-clutch was first mooted that it could be retrofitted. Unlike DCT the dual motors etc sit outside of the normal clutch - hence the wider case. It would probably need to be the 2024 model as the ECU, wiring, plugs etc wouldn’t be the same on pre-2024 models. I don’t believe it is as complicated or costly as DCT.

I understand that a quickshifter is still an optional extra on both the standard and e-clutch models, being part of a pack with rear seat plastic cover and tank protector as I elected to have on my 2023. I’ve seen no reference to rbw or the qs being other than up charges only. The thing is it needs to be under a £10k price threshold in the UK because otherwise it competes with a much more tech-orientated sector. It sits in a very price-sensitive sector.

wke002

CB650R
Jun 10, 2021
Riding Since
from videos here and there, i see like an addons over existing set up. high chance need to reprogram the ECU or if they supplied new ECU, than we might not be able to add onto our current stable, even if can, its not worth the $$$.

Top Bottom