• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CB650R Akrapovic Mounting Bolt Oversight?

OkiCB

CB650R ABS
Sep 23, 2019
Okinawa, Japan
I recently purchased a beautiful Akrapovic system for my 650R. Mounting was easy, looks great, sounds awesome; exactly what I was looking for in an exhaust. With one caveat. The two mounting bolts for the muffler itself through the rubber grommets do not thread into the provided mounting bracket. I started cross threading one bolt before I realized something was wrong.

Has anyone else experienced this?
A cursory search seems to be a "no." I had to verify the part numbers for the bolts between the 650R and 650F were the same, and they are. If anyone happens to have the correct sizing for this bolt, I'd be interested to know. It seems as though it should be an M8x55 1.0 pitch, but the stock bolts are M8x55 1.25 pitch based on eyeball comparisons with bolts from my local hardware store (which sadly didn't have anything in 1.0 pitch).

Dontpush

CB650R ABS
Mar 8, 2020
Riding Since
The 2020 Cb650r's stock muffler mounting bolts fit my Akra Racing exhaust mounting bracket holes perfectly, didn't have any issues.

OkiCB

CB650R ABS
Sep 23, 2019
Okinawa, Japan
That's quite interesting. I was hoping I'd be more than the first person in the world to have this issue. Guess I'll be emailing Akra about it.
The mount for the different mufflers seems to be a different part number and slightly different. The bolts for the 650f/r at this location are the same according to the parts catalogs I've seen.
Very interesting.

Dontpush

CB650R ABS
Mar 8, 2020
Riding Since
That's quite interesting. I was hoping I'd be more than the first person in the world to have this issue. Guess I'll be emailing Akra about it.
The mount for the different mufflers seems to be a different part number and slightly different. The bolts for the 650f/r at this location are the same according to the parts catalogs I've seen.
Very interesting.
What model # was your exhaust? And you tried fitting it on your 2019 650r correct? (just FYI getting the muffler mounted was not easy and took a good amount of trial and error to position it for the bolts to slide it correctly, I'm not assuming this is your issue but it didn't go in easily.)

OkiCB

CB650R ABS
Sep 23, 2019
Okinawa, Japan
What model # was your exhaust? And you tried fitting it on your 2019 650r correct? (just FYI getting the muffler mounted was not easy and took a good amount of trial and error to position it for the bolts to slide it correctly, I'm not assuming this is your issue but it didn't go in easily.)
Exhaust model S-H6R12-HAFT
Getting the muffler mounted was easy enough; just time consuming. Squeezing between the rubber mounts and wiggling it to the collector took a bit of work is all. Otherwise, zero fitment issues. Everything lines up the way it ought to.
After the first unsuccessful attempt at getting the bolts in, I removed the muffler and bracket and attempted to hand tighten the bolts through the bracket right there in front of me.
No luck.
So i took the bracket to one of my local hardware stores to try to find something that'd thread.
No joy.
So, I looked up the bolt part number. The part number is the same for my CB650R as it is for the '14 CBR650R: 90103-MJE-D00. It appears they've used the same mounting bolt for years. Size 8x55. No mention of thread pitch, though. An eye comparison between an M8x60 1.25 pitch bolt looks identical. But this does not work with the mounting bracket provided. It is currently held in by some heavy duty zip ties because I'm not ordering new exhaust gaskets and dealing with that again just for want of two bolts. There's not that much weight on them.

JH09

CB650R ABS
Jul 29, 2020
Riding Since
i hope the sound makes up for this annoying issue...

OkiCB

CB650R ABS
Sep 23, 2019
Okinawa, Japan
i hope the sound makes up for this annoying issue...
Minus the rattle of my license plate and the apparent increase in the irritating 4000-6000 vibration issue (perhaps due to less isolation since im not actually using the rubber isolators correctly), YES! It was exactly what I was looking for in terms of a sound increase and minor timbre change. I love the way it sounds and it's not obnoxious. I fired it up once without the muffler on to try and get an idea of what it'd sound like if i took the baffle out. Well, my neighbors would hate me. and it'd kill touring on it for me. Baffle stays in.

OkiCB

CB650R ABS
Sep 23, 2019
Okinawa, Japan
To any and all who happen across this in the future:
The Akrapovic exhaust S-H6R12-HAFT (the one with the 4 outlet baffle) fits the CB650R just fine. It's not listed on the Akrapovic website as compatible. This exhaust system includes mounting bracket P/N: P-X153 (item 11 in their parts schematic). This particular bracket utilizes a sized M8 bolt (matches stock). 55mm in length, partially threaded (matches stock). And a 1.00 thread pitch (does not match stock). I just got in a bag I ordered from McMaster Carr with these bolts and had no issues getting em in except for actually aligning the hole. The total vibration of the bike has dropped a noticeable amount now that the rubber grommets are actually being used. The incessant vibration from ~5500-6200 rpm is still there and annoying as hell (my second least favorite thing about this bike behind the transmission), but is generally a transient thing, so it's not too bad I guess. Still sounds great.

I'll post some pictures in media or something after I get the bike cleaned. Rainy season has made keeping her clean quite a chore.

tl;dr
Akrapovic exhaust S-H6R12-HAFT requires 2x M8x55 1.00 pitch partially threaded bolts

Dontpush

CB650R ABS
Mar 8, 2020
Riding Since
The 2019 and 2020 cb650r must have different pitched* stock bolts or something because I have the S-H6R12-HAFT and just double checked that the stock bolts threaded through the mounting bracket without issue.🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

OkiCB

CB650R ABS
Sep 23, 2019
Okinawa, Japan
The 2019 and 2020 cb650r must have different pitched* stock bolts or something because I have the S-H6R12-HAFT and just double checked that the stock bolts threaded through the mounting bracket without issue.🤷‍♂️
I'd say it may be a market thing then. Perhaps my Japanese market bike uses the more-common-here M8 1.25 bolt. I just triple checked between BikeBandit and Honda Parts House; the 2015 CBR650F, 2019 CB650R, and 2020 CB650R all use the same bolt, P/N: 90103-MJE-D00

Somewhere along the line, things got screwy with this mount. Perhaps I wasn't sent the correct part. I figure it wouldnt fit, but, I suppose it's possible.

Goblin

CB650R ABS
Sep 2, 2019
Just bought the Akra s-h6r14-hegeht, no problems here. Stock bolts fitted perfectly. The only little issue was with my oem belly pan, I had to adjust some with the Dremel to make it fit. The right header spring was in the way, had to Dremel some out. Tried mine also without db killer but for me personal it’s to loud, but with db it’s to soft. So I did some modification. Grind of the three pipes of the db with the grinding wheel and now the sound is perfect 👌
00D8326C-1487-4011-BBC5-2CC341FD9A79.jpeg418644AF-4DF8-4A61-8CAF-608F7026235A.jpeg

Last edited:

Jluu

CB650R ABS
Jul 21, 2019
Just bought the Akra s-h6r14-hegeht, no problems here. Stock bolts fitted perfectly. The only little issue was with my oem belly pan, I had to adjust some with the Dremel to make it fit. The right header spring was in the way, had to Dremel some out. Tried mine also without db killer but for me personal to loud, but with db slightly to soft. So I did some modification. Grind of the three pipes of the db with the grinding wheel and now the sound is perfect 👌
View attachment 9819View attachment 9820
Looks good! I have the S-H6R11-AFT model and the OEM belly pan. I thought I had the issue of the spring rubbing on the pan as well but just make sure the headers are seated properly. I pushed and pulled on the pipes to make sure and in the end it did shift over to the left side of the bike thus making room for the spring and the pan.

Goblin

CB650R ABS
Sep 2, 2019
I think there is a slight difference in the s-h6r11-aft and mine s-h6r14-hegeht because I was not able to make more room by pushing the pipes. The bracket on the right side near the spring, there was too much space between the pan and bracket even without the spring I couldn’t get the belly pan to fit

FiShBuRn

CB650R ABS
Nov 25, 2020
Riding Since
Ive lost one bold from the carbon tip, anyone knows where do i get one? (s-h6r14-hegeht)

Thanks

OkiCB

CB650R ABS
Sep 23, 2019
Okinawa, Japan
Just bought the Akra s-h6r14-hegeht, no problems here. Stock bolts fitted perfectly. The only little issue was with my oem belly pan, I had to adjust some with the Dremel to make it fit. The right header spring was in the way, had to Dremel some out. Tried mine also without db killer but for me personal it’s to loud, but with db it’s to soft. So I did some modification. Grind of the three pipes of the db with the grinding wheel and now the sound is perfect 👌
This is a different model though. And it is one explicitly supported by Akrapovic for the '19 650R. The S-H6R12-HAFT I chose, is not. Your version is much more, bulbous and fat looking and I'm not personally a fan. The one I've chosen is much slicker and tucked into the bike, imo. But yours is also EURO4 (5?) compliant with cat, and could pass an inspection. Mine, even with cat, is only EURO3 and will not pass inspection where I am, iirc. But I don't care. I like the looks/sound more. So, as before, it may be that Asian market bikes have a slightly different build than Euro or US spec or something. But, as of now, I haven't enough data to draw any conclusions. I'm one of only two people I know personally with a CB650R in Japan, and the other guy is a stickler for staying stock.

Goblin

CB650R ABS
Sep 2, 2019
This is a different model though. And it is one explicitly supported by Akrapovic for the '19 650R. The S-H6R12-HAFT I chose, is not. Your version is much more, bulbous and fat looking and I'm not personally a fan. The one I've chosen is much slicker and tucked into the bike, imo. But yours is also EURO4 (5?) compliant with cat, and could pass an inspection. Mine, even with cat, is only EURO3 and will not pass inspection where I am, iirc. But I don't care. I like the looks/sound more. So, as before, it may be that Asian market bikes have a slightly different build than Euro or US spec or something. But, as of now, I haven't enough data to draw any conclusions. I'm one of only two people I know personally with a CB650R in Japan, and the other guy is a stickler for staying stock.
The euro 4 compliance was for me an important aspect because over here in the Netherlands they are more and more focusing on bikes / exhaust systems. Although it’s not yet mandatory to have a exhaust system that meets all the European standards, there is a lot of debate around motorcycle noise and yearly inspection! I just like to have the option to ride with cat and db (so I’ll be completely road legal) or without if I want to make some serious noise 😁 I like the Carbon and cap

Last edited:

sp1d3r

CBR650R ABS
Apr 5, 2023
Riding Since
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I think the issue is actually the stock ‘washers’ - I noticed the left side is slightly longer than the right side, so my exhaust wasn’t mounted quite right. I think this resulted in excess vibration, losing my exhaust joint nuts. Why Honda used two different size washers is beyond me. I’m going to order a 2nd right side washer since it’s the correct length to properly mount the Akra into the rubber.

Edit: now I’m wondering if it’s longer so that it’s 100% suspended on one side? I have to imagine the stock exhaust also must mount like this. Maybe I’ll just leave it.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom