• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

Is it worth retaining the warranty?

vanqz

CBR650R
Sep 22, 2023
Riding Since
In Denmark, Honda offer a 5-6 year engine warranty when buying new from a registered dealership. This offer only continues to apply if the bike is serviced by an official dealer - in accordance to the service guide. There's a few other snags to it - such as it can't be modded or used for racing etc.. none of these really apply to me.

I'm soon approaching the 1 year service mark.. that is 1 year since the first 1000km service, which I did get done at the dealer.

Given the reliability status of the honda engine, and the simplicity of the service required over the next few years... (bsaic oil / oil filter, air filter changes etc), is it really worth going down this warranty path, both for now and the next 5 years? The cost of such as service is in the vicinity of 2-3000DKK (300USD?)... approx 1 hour labor, oil, smaller materials etc... the price quickly adds up here and things are nolonger cheap.

I was thinking of learning to do maintain this type of thing myself instead. Hoping for some good advice on the subject. Thanks!

Edit: worth adding that I probably do around few thousand kilometers per year currently.

Bike is a 2023 cbr650r

Last edited:

Redrocket

CBR650R
Mar 17, 2023
Riding Since
I don't think you are doing sufficient mileage to worry about an extended warranty - I have never taken them out. If you are handy with the spanners a lot of the servicing is easy enough. If I've still got mine - same year and model as yours - when the valves need inspecting/adjusting I'll take it to a local independent mechanic (who used to work at the supplying dealer anyway). It's not that I can't do the job myself but at my age I can't be bothered with the faff of establishing what shims I need, buying them, then putting it all back together. My choice - been there, done that. In the UK we get two years warranty.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
If you’re uncomfortable with servicing your bike I’d say it’s worth it, if you are it’s not.

I never buy extended warranties, it’s a gamble I’ve been willing to take. But I’m willing to take that risk.

Bran

CBR650R ABS
Aug 31, 2022
uk
Riding Since
my 650 is the only thing I don't service myself, more a case of for what it costs I cant be bothered getting my hands dirty. I've not taken them up on it yet but they told me I could borrow a bike for the day when booking in, and have considered borrowing the blade

Top Bottom