• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CBR650R Not a smooth shifter

Little _ole_man

CBR650R ABS
Dec 22, 2023
South West Florida
Riding Since
2023- not a smooth shifter from day one.
Installed quick shifter. It works as it is supposed to. When manually going through the gears. It’s rough. Very seldom is it smooth. Please educate this ole man for the cure.
I would like to raise the handle bar to a cafe style and find nothing but the opposite of lowering. Once again please educate this ole man.
If I put these subjects in the wrong place or area again please educate me. I have never been on any social sites or networks for help.

Redrocket

CBR650R
Mar 17, 2023
Riding Since
My 2023 changes fine from new, apart from clunking into first, especially from cold. Generally the higher the revs the smoother the change, even without using the q/s. Mine will happily do clutchless changes in the higher gears as long as it's revving enough. So, assuming you are not changing at too few revs, as stated above either adjustment is needed - cable free-play and chain (they are often too tight on new bikes and the rear wheel is not necessarily in line) - or there is something wrong with the release mechanism or the plates or basket. Bike should still be under warranty, so if adjustment doesn't cure it I'd take it back for an assessment.
Re the bar height I have never seen anything for raising the height on this. The CBR model is designed to be a sportier variant of the now-obsolete CBF model, that had the clip-ons mounted above the top yolk. I'm not aware of anything that can be done about raising the bars on the CBR but others may know different. The usual changes are, as you have said, the opposite.

Little _ole_man

CBR650R ABS
Dec 22, 2023
South West Florida
Riding Since
Been covered before here, but check clutch freeplay, chain freeplay.

Also the gearbox smoothes out after a few thousand miles... How new is the bike?

J
It’s about 4 months old. But that is not the real issue. I have a hair over 400 miles on it. I just adjusted the clutch free play. Chain still good on adjustment. Yes I guess you would say I baby it and run lower RPM’s than most do. Many thanks for your education.

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
At 400 miles it's still bedding in. It gets better from about 4k miles and things get smooth around the second service at 8k with the second oil change.

At that mileage I'm guessing the first service hasn't been done yet. Be patient.

J

Little _ole_man

CBR650R ABS
Dec 22, 2023
South West Florida
Riding Since
Correct 1st service is around the corner. The bike actually had (0) zero miles on it when I got it. It was still in the crate when I bought it. There is no rush on it. I figured it could be me not running higher RPM’s. I’m just use to the older none restricted that were noisy and vibrated and the seat had at least 6” of padding and when you turned the throttle you better hold on because it was taking off with no lag time.
But it’s all good. Only difference now is that I have down sized due to my age and weight of these bikes. Something I never had to worry about.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
This bike
Correct 1st service is around the corner. The bike actually had (0) zero miles on it when I got it. It was still in the crate when I bought it. There is no rush on it. I figured it could be me not running higher RPM’s. I’m just use to the older none restricted that were noisy and vibrated and the seat had at least 6” of padding and when you turned the throttle you better hold on because it was taking off with no lag time.
But it’s all good. Only difference now is that I have down sized due to my age and weight of these bikes. Something I never had to worry about.
This bike should, and will, take off cleanly with no hesitation. While a 650 it’s punchy off the line. It’s no liter rocket, but plenty of go if you want it. Or docile if you don’t.

It’s also been known to be VERY picky shifting if the clutch isn’t adjusted just right, usually slightly less free play than in the manual, the chain isn’t adjust right and if the lever is set to factory height and not slightly lowered. It also needs a firm, positive, full motion shift until you get a few thousand miles on it. I’d also say that if you’re shifting at low RPMs and being gingerly about it that’s probably the issue.

Little _ole_man

CBR650R ABS
Dec 22, 2023
South West Florida
Riding Since
This bike

This bike should, and will, take off cleanly with no hesitation. While a 650 it’s punchy off the line. It’s no liter rocket, but plenty of go if you want it. Or docile if you don’t.

It’s also been known to be VERY picky shifting if the clutch isn’t adjusted just right, usually slightly less free play than in the manual, the chain isn’t adjust right and if the lever is set to factory height and not slightly lowered. It also needs a firm, positive, full motion shift until you get a few thousand miles on it. I’d also say that if you’re shifting at low RPMs and being gingerly about it that’s probably the issue.
Yes, I am believing that they think that all of us older riders belong on those 3 wheelers more stable machines. I guess I need to tell them they are off their rockers. Us older riders still have in are blood the two wheel bikes. We like having all the power possible under our seat. For when we feel the need for speed. Many thanks for all feed back.

Little _ole_man

CBR650R ABS
Dec 22, 2023
South West Florida
Riding Since
Let me add/ask ,
Gear shift stabilizers.
I’m wondering if they really work or is it a waste of money?
They would have to be snug to work. Then it’s actually putting more resistance and friction. I have seen two styles (1) bearing ; (2) bushing. If it’s a bearing it’s going needs to be a snug fit just like the bushing. If they do work great but looks like it will be a maintenance item. Will have to keep dirt and debris out and always lubricated.

Motojack

CBR650R
May 26, 2019
If its rough shifting you are worried about using the quickshifter. Rev the bollix out of it! Otherwise just use the clutch lever if smooth gear changes at low speed is what you are looking for.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Let me add/ask ,
Gear shift stabilizers.
I’m wondering if they really work or is it a waste of money?
They would have to be snug to work. Then it’s actually putting more resistance and friction. I have seen two styles (1) bearing ; (2) bushing. If it’s a bearing it’s going needs to be a snug fit just like the bushing. If they do work great but looks like it will be a maintenance item. Will have to keep dirt and debris out and always lubricated.
It’s around a 20/30/50 response: 30% the time people say it made no difference, 70% of the time they say it made every difference, 20% of the time people say it makes it worse. Bearing or bushing, expensive or cheap version doesn’t seem to make a difference, that’s across every bike I’ve read about, not just the 650.

I wouldn’t overthink the maint; if the rest of the bike is that dirty or corroded in that area you have other stuff you’ll need to be maintaining anyway. For most people a dab of grease once a season should be fine, it moves a couple mm with every shift.

Top Bottom