• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CB650R Questions before I purchase a CB650R

CynicalTyler

CB650R
Jun 23, 2020
Riding Since
I'm realling looking into this bike as well. Any feeback on the pillion/passenger seat comfort? I believe the seat will be very hard for my GF. What about those who have applied a comfort seat, is it a big improvement? it's still 300 euros for that seat and without reviews it's a tough choice to blindly buy it.

Underworld Taco

CB650R ABS
Mar 23, 2020
Portugal
Riding Since
I'm realling looking into this bike as well. Any feeback on the pillion/passenger seat comfort? I believe the seat will be very hard for my GF. What about those who have applied a comfort seat, is it a big improvement? it's still 300 euros for that seat and without reviews it's a tough choice to blindly buy it.
The seat is a little hard, after some hours the butt need some rest, but in my opinion i think every sportnaked has the seat a little hard, tbh searching a nice gel or new seat more comfortable too, welcome to the forum, many experts here, they will guide you for sure ;)

keytopx

CB650R
Aug 17, 2020
Europe
Riding Since
And to cap it off, what kind of luggage is available for this bike? I'd be looking for something on the larger side to work with longer trips, maybe 25+ liters per pannier case, and hard luggage is a plus. I poked around Givi's site but it's a little confusing what adapters are needed and what luggage will fit.

I am right now looking at some options to add a top and side cases. Shad and GIVI have may things available and I have also seen SW-Motech.
For me, the top case alone is a NO in this bike. Design is one of the most important things for me and I feel a top case alone destroys it but if you add some side cases is a different thing. Regarding this, I prefer soft expandable bags (Shad E-48, GIVI also have some) than hard ones (like SH36) because I feel they look massive on the bike. I haven't been able to find any pictures of both top and side cases on CB650R but I have Powerpoint'd them together in black and silver. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• 71ZMggPBJrL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    71ZMggPBJrL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 71bBJDm4w4L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    71bBJDm4w4L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 28
  • CB650R touring Black.png
    CB650R touring Black.png
    500.5 KB · Views: 27
  • CB650R touring silver.PNG
    CB650R touring silver.PNG
    515.3 KB · Views: 28

koofdome

CB650F
Apr 27, 2020
Chicago, USA
Riding Since
At the moment the only custom comfort seat available is from bagster

all the big known brands (like sargent or Corbin) here in the US are currently not developing a custom seat for this bike

got in touch in them and they said I could send them the seat to have it customized

otherwise there is a gel application from Luimoto, they also have custom seat covers.

I personally think the seat needs to be customized for longer rides, but it is also suggested to stop every hour or so.

For me (so personal taste) the best luggage brand is SW Motech, wide variety of bags, mostly semi rigid, they have the Urban rigid side cases which I think the design goes along really well since the modern look of the bike.
Did not buy them yet, but I will in the future for longer trips.

As for the center stand, have not seen one yet.

Gas milage, a full tank ranges around 180 miles.

Vibration at 6k are still there for me even if the bike has ridden 3000miles, at 70 mph the engine will be around 6k so you either speed up on highways or drop down a gear.
And yes this engine the higher rpm the smoother it is. but it is enjoyable even at lower speeds around town.
Wait....Corbin isn't making seats anymore!?! Is it due to the virus?

MrFritz86

CB650R
Sep 28, 2019
Nashville, TN
I am right now looking at some options to add a top and side cases. Shad and GIVI have may things available and I have also seen SW-Motech.
For me, the top case alone is a NO in this bike. Design is one of the most important things for me and I feel a top case alone destroys it but if you add some side cases is a different thing. Regarding this, I prefer soft expandable bags (Shad E-48, GIVI also have some) than hard ones (like SH36) because I feel they look massive on the bike. I haven't been able to find any pictures of both top and side cases on CB650R but I have Powerpoint'd them together in black and silver. Hope it helps.

check this thread fro some reference
These are hard case, but they look pretty good in my opinion

Shad panniers are reviewed from EnglishBikerDan @EnglishBikerDan, check his youtube channel

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida

I have the Shad's because they're very simple to take off when you're not using them. And their 3P system is almost transparent when the bags are off. Givi, on the other hand, has those big-ass, squared tubes that are very noticable. And, their side cases look like giant balloons, IMO.
I put the SH23 hard cases on mine. They're more "boxy" looking and fit with the bikes lines better...again, IMO.

Comes down to what you need them for. If you want them strictly for necessity then (refer to my Zen''' thread!) who cares what your bike looks like! Go with what you need!

IMG_20200628_143953669_HDR.jpg

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
I prefer soft expandable bags (Shad E-48, GIVI also have some) than hard ones
The trouble with soft luggage is it isn't secure. I prefer a lockable top box. I have never got round to fitting hard side cases.

koofdome

CB650F
Apr 27, 2020
Chicago, USA
Riding Since
I have the Shad's because they're very simple to take off when you're not using them. And their 3P system is almost transparent when the bags are off. Givi, on the other hand, has those big-ass, squared tubes that are very noticable. And, their side cases look like giant balloons, IMO.
I put the SH23 hard cases on mine. They're more "boxy" looking and fit with the bikes lines better...again, IMO.

Comes down to what you need them for. If you want them strictly for necessity then (refer to my Zen''' thread!) who cares what your bike looks like! Go with what you need!

View attachment 8330
How is the bagster. I'm really torn between it and a Corbin

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
How is the bagster. I'm really torn between it and a Corbin

Can't compare against the Corbin as I've never sat on one for the CB. I did have one on my CTX and LOVED it! But that was more of a sport cruiser so it allowed most of your butt to be able to relax on the entire seat!
What I can say about the Bagster...total 100% difference than stock in a good way! I can ride on the Bagster for hours. That stock seat would get to me after 30 minutes.

I'll give you my thoughts on the Corbin (as they're all similar no matter what bike you put one on). The Corbin will probably have you sitting a bit higher and further back. Could be nice for you as you're a tall dude. But, if you're into the hard leaning and shifting to either side of your seat through the twisties then I can see the Corbin may be a little cumbersome as it's a wider seat pan. Comfort though, I'd have no doubt a Corbin would be tons better than the stock!

koofdome

CB650F
Apr 27, 2020
Chicago, USA
Riding Since
Can't compare against the Corbin as I've never sat on one for the CB. I did have one on my CTX and LOVED it! But that was more of a sport cruiser so it allowed most of your butt to be able to relax on the entire seat!
What I can say about the Bagster...total 100% difference than stock in a good way! I can ride on the Bagster for hours. That stock seat would get to me after 30 minutes.

I'll give you my thoughts on the Corbin (as they're all similar no matter what bike you put one on). The Corbin will probably have you sitting a bit higher and further back. Could be nice for you as you're a tall dude. But, if you're into the hard leaning and shifting to either side of your seat through the twisties then I can see the Corbin may be a little cumbersome as it's a wider seat pan. Comfort though, I'd have no doubt a Corbin would be tons better than the stock!
I am tall and so that plays a big role, I definitely wanted something that may put me a littttle higher. I believe Corbin asks for inseam and whatnot for measurements when making your seat too. Thanks for that in depth reply!

the only thing I love about that bagster is that little lower back rest. Man it seems comfortable

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
I am tall and so that plays a big role, I definitely wanted something that may put me a littttle higher. I believe Corbin asks for inseam and whatnot for measurements when making your seat too. Thanks for that in depth reply!

the only thing I love about that bagster is that little lower back rest. Man it seems comfortable

Not sure what part of the country you're in but Corbin in Daytona is not too far from me. When I got my CTX seat they offered two options, the low profile seat and the standard. I went during Bike Week so there was 10% off and I was able to put the two seats on my bike and try them out. It was a tough decision as they both felt awesome to me.
That said, because I was right in the Corbin garage, I had a choice. I don't believe there's a choice for the CB's. And I don't believe that they'll adjust anything to your size. I'm betting it's a one-size-fits-all for the CB's. The seats come from the factory in California. What was nice about being able to ride into the shop was, at the time, I had the Shad brackets on my CTX and the seat wouldn't fit between the top case bars. They were able to shave off some foam padding right then and there to make it work. So, if you don't have that ability I'd be very specific with them about what you're looking for and see if they can't adjust to your size as opposed to them telling you their seat will fit you...and anyone else!
If you're close to either of their shops I'd just go in and talk to them.

*** I'll add...any seat that you decide, if it turns out you don't like it, you can always post it for sale on here. Custom seats generally hold their value pretty well and sell quickly!

koofdome

CB650F
Apr 27, 2020
Chicago, USA
Riding Since
Not sure what part of the country you're in but Corbin in Daytona is not too far from me. When I got my CTX seat they offered two options, the low profile seat and the standard. I went during Bike Week so there was 10% off and I was able to put the two seats on my bike and try them out. It was a tough decision as they both felt awesome to me.
That said, because I was right in the Corbin garage, I had a choice. I don't believe there's a choice for the CB's. And I don't believe that they'll adjust anything to your size. I'm betting it's a one-size-fits-all for the CB's. The seats come from the factory in California. What was nice about being able to ride into the shop was, at the time, I had the Shad brackets on my CTX and the seat wouldn't fit between the top case bars. They were able to shave off some foam padding right then and there to make it work. So, if you don't have that ability I'd be very specific with them about what you're looking for and see if they can't adjust to your size as opposed to them telling you their seat will fit you...and anyone else!
If you're close to either of their shops I'd just go in and talk to them.

*** I'll add...any seat that you decide, if it turns out you don't like it, you can always post it for sale on here. Custom seats generally hold their value pretty well and sell quickly!
I'm in Chicago, so a California trip on the 650 isn't likely haha! Been there before, but not bringing the bike. Bummer.

I believe the Corbin fits my needs better, and you're right custom seats hold value very well and if anything I'll be out a few bucks but could sell it here and try a bagster!!

Good news is I have never heard anything bad about Corbin. Just torn between that and bagster!

thanks again great info

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
That said, because I was right in the Corbin garage, I had a choice. I don't believe there's a choice for the CB's. And I don't believe that they'll adjust anything to your size. I'm betting it's a one-size-fits-all for the CB's. The seats come from the factory in California.

So I’ll add to this because I recently ordered a seat for my Sprint GT from Corbin and can tell you what I found in dealing with them. Note, I’ve owned 4 or 5 Corbins over the years as well.

Every seat, according to their website, is “custom“ made so you can do whatever you want at the time of order like add an inch, subtract an inch, softer foam, change color, stitching, etc. on ANY seat they sell. Here’s the catch: unless you buy one of their “standard size” seats, it’s actually made to order in their “custom“ shop and takes 3x as long to get because it’s not built in the “factory”. So for me, I added a 1“ of foam as I’m 6’3” and deleted a logo on the seat at the time of ordering and instead of getting it in a week like the guy from the Triumph forum that convinced me to order one did, it took 3 full weeks to get. But know you get two “free” adjustments in the first year of ownership to send it back and get it to fit you exactly as you want it. You have to cover shipping, however.

My experience: So I mostly liked the seat when I got it, but they had suggested I not add foam when I ordered (they have changed policy over the years and used to ALWAYS lower seat heights from standard on every seat they sold and no longer do that, for me adding an inch really added about 1/2”) and they were completely right, it felt weird and off so I sent it back to get redone, no additional charge. At the same time my wife could not stand how firm the seat was and she was right, it was harder than I ever remember new Corbin seats to be and 750 miles of riding didn’t help us break it in so I had the softer foam put on. Seat came back MUCH, MUCH better but in the redo process they removed around 3” of foam front to back of the passenger seat so instead of it being like 11” side to side, 12” front to back it was 9” front to back and missing foam right where my wife sits and I couldn’t sit in the “bucket” because it’s now like 3” further back.

So I called them and told them about it. The company that was great before on the first redo told me that while I could send it back they’d have to charge me for a new cover and new foam so I’m looking at $350-400 to “fix” a $500 brand new seat they f-ed up. I argued a couple times and they wouldn’t budge, in fact they said something along the lines of since I “custom” ordered it the first time, that was actually one of my redo’s so I’m stuck.

I decided to let it go and still have the seat in a box above the garage. For the most part, it works good for me, but one day I’ll maybe bring it into a shop and have it redone or just try to sell it. It’s way better than the factory gel seat I also bought for the bike, that one is harsh and we ride with the stock seat pretty much all the time now.

I’m not trying to dissuade you, it’s actually a good seat if I had just ordered it and not screwed around, but I’m passing onto you my experience. I’d suggest calling in your order and getting someone on the phone to talk you through it. I did, which helped, but I just didn’t listen to the person and had to screw around and now I’m stuck and not 100% happy.

The Bagster seat is good, I’ve bought Saddleman, Sargent, and ride a bike with Russell on it for a weekend and that by far was the ugliest, most comfortable seat to sit on in the world but all were good alternatives. Corbin gets along on their name but for the most part earned it.

koofdome

CB650F
Apr 27, 2020
Chicago, USA
Riding Since
So I’ll add to this because I recently ordered a seat for my Sprint GT from Corbin and can tell you what I found in dealing with them. Note, I’ve owned 4 or 5 Corbins over the years as well.

Every seat, according to their website, is “custom“ made so you can do whatever you want at the time of order like add an inch, subtract an inch, softer foam, change color, stitching, etc. on ANY seat they sell. Here’s the catch: unless you buy one of their “standard size” seats, it’s actually made to order in their “custom“ shop and takes 3x as long to get because it’s not built in the “factory”. So for me, I added a 1“ of foam as I’m 6’3” and deleted a logo on the seat at the time of ordering and instead of getting it in a week like the guy from the Triumph forum that convinced me to order one did, it took 3 full weeks to get. But know you get two “free” adjustments in the first year of ownership to send it back and get it to fit you exactly as you want it. You have to cover shipping, however.

My experience: So I mostly liked the seat when I got it, but they had suggested I not add foam when I ordered (they have changed policy over the years and used to ALWAYS lower seat heights from standard on every seat they sold and no longer do that, for me adding an inch really added about 1/2”) and they were completely right, it felt weird and off so I sent it back to get redone, no additional charge. At the same time my wife could not stand how firm the seat was and she was right, it was harder than I ever remember new Corbin seats to be and 750 miles of riding didn’t help us break it in so I had the softer foam put on. Seat came back MUCH, MUCH better but in the redo process they removed around 3” of foam front to back of the passenger seat so instead of it being like 11” side to side, 12” front to back it was 9” front to back and missing foam right where my wife sits and I couldn’t sit in the “bucket” because it’s now like 3” further back.

So I called them and told them about it. The company that was great before on the first redo told me that while I could send it back they’d have to charge me for a new cover and new foam so I’m looking at $350-400 to “fix” a $500 brand new seat they f-ed up. I argued a couple times and they wouldn’t budge, in fact they said something along the lines of since I “custom” ordered it the first time, that was actually one of my redo’s so I’m stuck.

I decided to let it go and still have the seat in a box above the garage. For the most part, it works good for me, but one day I’ll maybe bring it into a shop and have it redone or just try to sell it. It’s way better than the factory gel seat I also bought for the bike, that one is harsh and we ride with the stock seat pretty much all the time now.

I’m not trying to dissuade you, it’s actually a good seat if I had just ordered it and not screwed around, but I’m passing onto you my experience. I’d suggest calling in your order and getting someone on the phone to talk you through it. I did, which helped, but I just didn’t listen to the person and had to screw around and now I’m stuck and not 100% happy.

The Bagster seat is good, I’ve bought Saddleman, Sargent, and ride a bike with Russell on it for a weekend and that by far was the ugliest, most comfortable seat to sit on in the world but all were good alternatives. Corbin gets along on their name but for the most part earned it.

Great insight thank you I really appreciate it. I have also heard the customization for Corbin is top notch, but you need to be careful because it isn't cheap. I am also in no rush, because this is something I am going to save $ for over the winter months & get ready for next spring season 2021!

So for a new customer, (if I am absorbing your knowledge fully here) you would.....
-get the softer padding from the start - don't risk sending it in to get redone later, otherwise a lot of material is removed
-don't mess with height, let them do what they do on their end professionally. I am tall also, 6'4, but you are saying do not do anything to measurments, let them do what they do

Again thank you so much. I have heard nothing but awesome stuff from Corbin, & only got the pleasure of seeing ONE seat in person on an MT07. It looked beautiful. I was torn between Corbin & Bagster, but seeing the insight of others it seems corbin is the way to go.

Last edited:

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Great insight thank you I really appreciate it. I have also heard the customization for Corbin is top notch, but you need to be careful because it isn't cheap. I am also in no rush, because this is something I am going to save $ for over the winter months & get ready for next spring season 2021!

So for a new customer, (if I am absorbing your knowledge fully here) you would.....
-get the softer padding from the start - don't risk sending it in to get redone later, otherwise a lot of material is removed
-don't mess with height, let them do what they do on their end professionally. I am tall also, 6'4, but you are saying do not do anything to measurments, let them do what they do

Again thank you so much. I have heard nothing but awesome stuff from Corbin, & only got the pleasure of seeing ONE seat in person on an MT07. It looked beautiful. I was torn between Corbin & Bagster, but seeing the insight of others it seems corbin is the way to go.
Kinda but not quite, I ramble so it's understandable!!! :)

I have also heard the customization for Corbin is top notch, but you need to be careful because it isn't cheap

- Customization doesn't cost anything. Adding an inch, taking it out, moving the seat area, etc is (for the most part, unless they need extra materials) included in the seat price.

get the softer padding from the start

I would. They will say it'll break in but I have not found that to be the case until you get almost tens of thousands of miles on it.

don't risk sending it in to get redone later, otherwise a lot of material is removed

That is what happened to mine. No idea why, but mine was a 1 piece seat and when it came back was dished out funky. If you can avoid it, I would try.

don't mess with height, let them do what they do on their end professionally. I am tall also, 6'4, but you are saying do not do anything to measurments, let them do what they do

Call them and talk to someone and get their recommendations. For my seat, on my bike, with my height and my inseam they suggested I don't. I didn't listen and they were right. But I'd ask them first, don't assume.

I have heard nothing but awesome stuff from Corbin

Their seats are fine, mostly well built but I have to say 10 years ago and back they were even better. And you pay extra for the Corbin name and legacy, that's why other seats tend to be popular. Their customer service, especially after sale, is well documented online to range from OK to poor. I had an OK/good interaction then a poor one, not uncommon at all.

The Bagster one is well built and comfy, and significantly less money. I personally like Sargent and Saddleman better but their options are limited unless you are willing to send your stock one to them; over winter is not a time to do it. But if you don't like it, you have no seat to go back.

An off the shelf Corbin will probably be great for you, but again, so will an off the shelf Bagster.

koofdome

CB650F
Apr 27, 2020
Chicago, USA
Riding Since
Kinda but not quite, I ramble so it's understandable!!! :)

- Customization doesn't cost anything. Adding an inch, taking it out, moving the seat area, etc is (for the most part, unless they need extra materials) included in the seat price.

I would. They will say it'll break in but I have not found that to be the case until you get almost tens of thousands of miles on it.

That is what happened to mine. No idea why, but mine was a 1 piece seat and when it came back was dished out funky. If you can avoid it, I would try.

Call them and talk to someone and get their recommendations. For my seat, on my bike, with my height and my inseam they suggested I don't. I didn't listen and they were right. But I'd ask them first, don't assume.

Their seats are fine, mostly well built but I have to say 10 years ago and back they were even better. And you pay extra for the Corbin name and legacy, that's why other seats tend to be popular. Their customer service, especially after sale, is well documented online to range from OK to poor. I had an OK/good interaction then a poor one, not uncommon at all.

The Bagster one is well built and comfy, and significantly less money. I personally like Sargent and Saddleman better but their options are limited unless you are willing to send your stock one to them; over winter is not a time to do it. But if you don't like it, you have no seat to go back.

An off the shelf Corbin will probably be great for you, but again, so will an off the shelf Bagster.
Awesome thank u!

Last thing, did you ever happen to snap some photos of the corbin? Thanks!

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Awesome thank u!

Last thing, did you ever happen to snap some photos of the corbin? Thanks!
I did not, it spent most of it's life in transit and wasn't well liked on the bike so it's stuffed in a box above the garage. Looks just like this one without the heating switches and the Corbin logo on the back of the rider seat:

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
I have used a local motorcycle seat specialist to recover seats, reshape foam, add gel insert, etc. on previous bikes. These type of firms will rebuild your seat however you want using your original base and will probably not be any dearer than companies like Corbin or Bagster.

Top Bottom