• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CB650R Removing top speed governor

creef14

CB650R
Jun 17, 2020
VA, USA
Riding Since
Anyone remove the top speed governor?

I know it can be done through an ECU flash or dyno tuning, but wondering if I can do it with a PCV map.

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
What do you mean by "top speed govenor"? Speed limiter or rev limiter?

I wasn't aware of a speed limiter on the 650 platform, while the rev limiter is at ~12k rpm to protect the engine and removing it would be dangerous.

J

creef14

CB650R
Jun 17, 2020
VA, USA
Riding Since
At least the 2020 US model CB650R has a top speed governor of 135mph.

But it hits that speed very low into 6th gear revs, like maybe 6-7k; so there’s clearly more speed available in the motor.

creef14

CB650R
Jun 17, 2020
VA, USA
Riding Since
Almost sounds like you have the A2 model (35Kw motor)?

I have the service manual for the 2020 at home, will see if it mentions a limiter.
I don’t believe they sell restricted models in the US. I believe they’re all full powered, but also electronically speed limited

japont4

CBR650R ABS
Oct 23, 2021
Riding Since
I don’t believe they sell restricted models in the US. I believe they’re all full powered, but also electronically speed limited
They don't sell restricted models in the US. The real question is why it has been limited. For example, in some older gen V6 Mustangs, they had the top speed limited because the driveshaft could fail at sustained higher speeds. There is even a video of one doing exactly just that. So.. I wonder if its been restricted because of something similar or some other reason not related to mechanical failure

MDM650R

CBR650R
Aug 31, 2021
Riding Since
I had my Australian restricted 21' CBR650R dynotuned (86.5whp) and unrestricted.

They removed the top speed limiter for me, the next day I was comfortably able to hit 221kmh (137mph) in 5th gear whilst not fully tucked on the tank (had a GoPro on my chest, didnt wanna scratch the tank)

The road wasn't great either. I'm sure it could get up to 240+ on the right road and right conditions.

JRinKtown

CB650F
Jun 30, 2019
At least the 2020 US model CB650R has a top speed governor of 135mph.

But it hits that speed very low into 6th gear revs, like maybe 6-7k; so there’s clearly more speed available in the motor.
What rpm are you shifting 5th to 6th at? If all you could reach in 6th was 6-7K, maybe you were hoping 6th would have the power to build from lower rpm all the way to the potential top speed. Have you tried winding 5th out to just shy of redline before shifting into 6th? Road conditions, grade, wind; all possible limiting factors if you didn't wind 5th out fully before shifting. Just some thoughts.

trippy

CB650R ABS
May 2, 2021
Riding Since
I had my Australian restricted 21' CBR650R dynotuned (86.5whp) and unrestricted.

They removed the top speed limiter for me, the next day I was comfortably able to hit 221kmh (137mph) in 5th gear whilst not fully tucked on the tank (had a GoPro on my chest, didnt wanna scratch the tank)

The road wasn't great either. I'm sure it could get up to 240+ on the right road and right conditions.

For 240+ the right road is downhill and conditions include light wind from behind.

N4NOS

CBR650F
Jul 19, 2022
Riding Since
hello! new member
just bought cbr650F. but it has speed limiter. Do you guys know how to disable speed limiter?

JRinKtown

CB650F
Jun 30, 2019
hello! new member
just bought cbr650F. but it has speed limiter. Do you guys know how to disable speed limiter?
I don't think any of these models have a top speed limiter. They have a rpm limiter of course to protect the engine, but within the parameters of rpm allowed and the gearing, combined with the engines power, top speed will be whatever it is. Winding out previous gears to max rpm before shifting is the way to get the max top speed for whatever your conditions are. Just how I see it.

N4NOS

CBR650F
Jul 19, 2022
Riding Since
I don't think any of these models have a top speed limiter. They have a rpm limiter of course to protect the engine, but within the parameters of rpm allowed and the gearing, combined with the engines power, top speed will be whatever it is. Winding out previous gears to max rpm before shifting is the way to get the max top speed for whatever your conditions are. Just how I see it.
well, I tried everything but whatever what gear is in when reaches 190kph it automatically decreased to 185kph.
Btw my friend's bike has rev limiter. max speed is 150kph cuz of rev limit which cannot reaches above 7000rpm.

JRinKtown

CB650F
Jun 30, 2019
well, I tried everything but whatever what gear is in when reaches 190kph it automatically decreased to 185kph.
Btw my friend's bike has rev limiter. max speed is 150kph cuz of rev limit which cannot reaches above 7000rpm.
All modern bikes have rev limiters to protect the engine from blowing up due to over-revving. That and the power output determine top speed in accordance with gearing. Because a bike has a rev limiter of say, 12,000 rpm it does not mean it will have the power to reach that rpm in top gear. Lots of factors could be influencing what you experience. If you're saying you can't get past 190 kph, then I'd suspect you have some issues interfering with power output, i.e. air filter clogged, bad tune, dirty fuel system (Redline SL-1 to clean the injectors and intake valves), etc. Mine is the 2018 cb650F and I've never had any problems getting past 190 kph with lots left. I think the top speed on these is around 230 kph on a level road with no wind with an average weight rider.

JRinKtown

CB650F
Jun 30, 2019
so what should i do to get 230kph then?
As I alluded to in the comment above; check your air filter if it's been forever since you checked last, and put 4 ounces of Redline SL-1 in a full tank of gas and run it till almost empty. Fuel systems can easily get gummed up and that product works better than others to clean it out. Doesn't take much crap in the system or other neglected maintenance to impair performance; spark plugs, valves, and...?

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
so what should i do to get 230kph then?
Your country may have a top speed limit, though, so it may be limited that way. Your avatar flag shows Mongolia, I don’t know that we have a lot of members in that region but if it’s repeatable in both 5th and 6th gear I’d say it’s a possibility.

You could buy an ECU from another country to try it, or try another bike. The 230kph figure will be hard to hit in actuality because of wind resistance and the stock gearing on the bike makes it more theoretical than anything. It may indicate that on the speedometer but you’re actually going well below 150mph. And if top speed is your end game, this is not a great bike for that anyway.

Little _ole_man

CBR650R ABS
Dec 22, 2023
South West Florida
Riding Since
Educate me on this agreement with all of the top bike manufacturers. This agreement is supposedly an agreement of intent of safety amongst all riders. The segment that I read was a copy and a pasted in the article I was reading. To shorten the story all top motorcycle manufacturers agreed to have a maximum speed on their top end bikes ( the ones that were capable) to have maximum speed from the factory of 159 mph. Different bikes with different capabilities would be capable of various different speeds above the 159 mph factory limit. This agreement has been upheld by the top bike manufacturer because they feel 159 mph is ample enough to do more than a tremendous amount of damage to all living soul’s.
The question that I have is what exactly did they do to prevent the bikes that were physically designed to exceed the 159 mph from actually hitting the motors capability ?

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Educate me on this agreement with all of the top bike manufacturers. This agreement is supposedly an agreement of intent of safety amongst all riders. The segment that I read was a copy and a pasted in the article I was reading. To shorten the story all top motorcycle manufacturers agreed to have a maximum speed on their top end bikes ( the ones that were capable) to have maximum speed from the factory of 159 mph. Different bikes with different capabilities would be capable of various different speeds above the 159 mph factory limit. This agreement has been upheld by the top bike manufacturer because they feel 159 mph is ample enough to do more than a tremendous amount of damage to all living soul’s.
The question that I have is what exactly did they do to prevent the bikes that were physically designed to exceed the 159 mph from actually hitting the motors capability ?
Where are you seeing this? I’ve never heard of a 159mph limit on top speed in the US or anywhere else for that matter.

Many years ago, during the heyday of sportbikes when the Hayabusa and Superblackbird were introduced, there was a gentleman’s agreement to limit bikes to 189mph at the top because they felt top speed became a dangerous game. But that’s been long since ignored, at least the 10-15 years bikes like the S1000RR, Panigale V4’s, even the ZX10’s and CBR1000RR’s are able to top out past that.

If there is a top speed limiter on anything nowadays it’s done in the ECU by limiting 100% throttle in the top gears or retarding the ignition timing at top speeds. But it can usually be defeated by an ECU flash.

Redrocket

CBR650R
Mar 17, 2023
Riding Since
The last I heard of speed limiters was 186mph established by the EU in the early days of the Hyabusa. Where is this this limit of 159mph and to which countries does it apply? Academic interest only as anyone caught doing that kind of speed on the road will be gaoled and then face a ban of several years and have to take an extended test before getting back on the road, even if any company would provide insurance.
Re the top speed of the CBR it won't be achieved by a large and/or heavy person. Just saying😀

Top Bottom