• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

shifting problems

Snowcat

CBR650F
Apr 21, 2024
Riding Since
I have a 2015 cbr650f and the shifter won't reset itself, it's really limp and don't reset itself, so I got to do it with my foot just to shift which is kind of annoying. I had one place say its the shift reset spring and another place say its the pivoting system or whatever which was gonna cost 1500 to fix cause they gotta drop the motor.. im wondering if anyone else has ran into the same issue. pls and thx

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
I have a 2015 cbr650f and the shifter won't reset itself, it's really limp and don't reset itself, so I got to do it with my foot just to shift which is kind of annoying. I had one place say its the shift reset spring and another place say its the pivoting system or whatever which was gonna cost 1500 to fix cause they gotta drop the motor.. im wondering if anyone else has ran into the same issue. pls and thx
Grab the upper shift shaft and pull it out, does it reset then? The mech is pretty straight forward once you pull covers and the clutch basket, all springs are external and not within the gearbox so it shouldn’t be a huge deal.

Snowcat

CBR650F
Apr 21, 2024
Riding Since
Grab the upper shift shaft and pull it out, does it reset then? The mech is pretty straight forward once you pull covers and the clutch basket, all springs are external and not within the gearbox so it shouldn’t be a huge deal.
it does not reset, it just stays all the down. im not sure how to post a vid on here or i would

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
it does not reset, it just stays all the down. im not sure how to post a vid on here or i would
You have to link it from a hosting site.

There’s a link to the service manual in the resources section. Take a look at that, then check out a microfiche from a discount vender online. Like I said, the return springs are all seemingly outside the cases so removing the covers on the clutch and stator side should give you access to what’s broken or missing.

Snowcat

CBR650F
Apr 21, 2024
Riding Since
You have to link it from a hosting site.

There’s a link to the service manual in the resources section. Take a look at that, then check out a microfiche from a discount vender online. Like I said, the return springs are all seemingly outside the cases so removing the covers on the clutch and stator side should give you access to what’s broken or missing.
well i was talking to someone about a return spring and they decided to smack the shift shaft and now it wont downshift at all. cant pull it back out and kinda pissed about it ngl. is there any way i can get it back to atleast being able to shift cause i dont got the proper tools for it nor the knowledgeand i dont got a truck anymore to bring it somewhere. i do truly apoogize for all the questions btw

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
well i was talking to someone about a return spring and they decided to smack the shift shaft and now it wont downshift at all. cant pull it back out and kinda pissed about it ngl. is there any way i can get it back to atleast being able to shift cause i dont got the proper tools for it nor the knowledgeand i dont got a truck anymore to bring it somewhere. i do truly apoogize for all the questions btw
Who the f did that????? Damn.......

Well, they broke a $2 part called a shift rod "keeper" tab that requires you to pull the clutch cover and remove the clutch basket to replace. There's a bunch of info on here about it because it's common when you tip the bike over on the left side. If they smacked it hard enough the rod jammed that tab into the clutch basket so the rod won't pull out anymore; normally you can pull it out, it only moves about a half inch or so, and shift again unless its really jammed in there.

Wish I had better news.

Snowcat

CBR650F
Apr 21, 2024
Riding Since
Who the f did that????? Damn.......

Well, they broke a $2 part called a shift rod "keeper" tab that requires you to pull the clutch cover and remove the clutch basket to replace. There's a bunch of info on here about it because it's common when you tip the bike over on the left side. If they smacked it hard enough the rod jammed that tab into the clutch basket so the rod won't pull out anymore; normally you can pull it out, it only moves about a half inch or so, and shift again unless its really jammed in there.

Wish I had better news.
i got it pulled back out, i just had to lift up and wiggle as i pull it out instead of just pulling. i greatly appreciate your help, your helping me out more than the mechanics at the dealerships lol

Top Bottom