Triumph Daytona 660

Cedar650

CBR650F ABS
Apr 26, 2023
Riding Since
It's fairly porky for a Triumph at over 200kg wet so no doubt aimed to be a budget friendly bike but still a fair whack lighter than the CBR650 with a reasonable peak torque advantage no doubt coming in a fair bit lower in the RPM range. Will be interested to see how well tuned the basic suspension setup is and seeing a few head to head comparisons with it's main competitors which I assume will be the CBR650, R7 and Ninja 650 (though probably not the RS660 since it's a higher cost bike). Engine wise I think it will easily be the best in class as the current Street Triple 660 pulls stronger and harder than the CBR650 and MT07 across the majority of the rev range having recently owned all three of these bikes.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
It's fairly porky for a Triumph at over 200kg wet so no doubt aimed to be a budget friendly bike but still a fair whack lighter than the CBR650 with a reasonable peak torque advantage no doubt coming in a fair bit lower in the RPM range. Will be interested to see how well tuned the basic suspension setup is and seeing a few head to head comparisons with it's main competitors which I assume will be the CBR650, R7 and Ninja 650 (though probably not the RS660 since it's a higher cost bike). Engine wise I think it will easily be the best in class as the current Street Triple 660 pulls stronger and harder than the CBR650 and MT07 across the majority of the rev range having recently owned all three of these bikes.
Agree with you on pretty much everything; Triumph usually does a good job with their OEM suspension, even the non adjustable ones so my guess is it will be similar to the Honda 650 in ride. The RS660 is considered competition from what I’ve been seeing, a non-special edition is more expensive but not crazy higher.

The current Street Triple is a 765cc engine, the older, non S one is a 675cc, the STS a 660cc, but all 3 are a fairly different design than the 660cc that’s in the Trident that powers the Daytona. The 660 in the Trident won’t ever be a powerhouse with its shortened crank, different cams, different intake, etc. and I’d bet the ~100hp is going to be pretty much the max that engine will ever do. Still, though, will be solid bike, I bet.

Before I bought the Street Triple a few weeks back I asked the dealer about the Daytona rumors and whether the 765cc will make it (back, was there in 2020) into a Daytona and he was very confident it wouldn’t. Hoping he’s right or maybe I should have waited ;)

Redrocket

CBR650R
Mar 17, 2023
Riding Since
It’ll probably be quicker. Although on paper it makes the same max bhp as the CBR, I understand that the latter makes rather less on the dyno because the top end bhp relies on a ram air effect. The Trumpet also has riding modes. The CBR is getting a bit long in the tooth; perhaps the e-clutch version will tempt buyers. There are other bikes about to compete too eg CF Moto triple. Too soon to tell until they are all road-tested. Personally I won’t buy another Triumph. They’ve become like BMW.

JDude

CB650R ABS
May 20, 2020
Ottawa
Riding Since
I’m happy to see that all manufacturers are putting out some great middle weight products that aren’t going to bust your budget. It’s a fantastic time to be riding as there are a lot of great naked and sport options from singles, twins, triples and I4. I’m personally going to stay away from Chinese produced products but everything else is fair game.

Bran

CBR650R ABS
Aug 31, 2022
uk
Riding Since
as the Daytona 765 was a limited edition I cant see how they can produce it in a full run, that will wipe the value of the originals, which is a shame to me. I would have seriously considered a bike with a bit more BHP but don't have any need or skill for the monster sports bikes now for sale.
What I've seen the 660 looks very like the cbr650r, a newer dash, strobing indicators and I believe rider modes. For me none of this matters on a bike sub 100 BHP. We can discuss the merits of a twin, triple or inline 4 but it comes down to personal taste and money. The RS660 Aprilia gets top votes in all the tests but is it £3000.00 better than my 650r? not to this tight arsed Yorkshireman.

its interesting that so many manufacturers are producing bikes similar to the 650 now, as a few years back Honda was kinda on its own. to me these are bikes that look faster than they really are, whilst being fast enough and friendly enough for public roads.

Motojack

CBR650R
May 26, 2019
These bikes are made to restricted it's why you wont see them over 100BHP.

If you want something more your are gonna need to cough up! It's a shame there is a lack of new 600cc bike. I know honda and kawasaki have theirs but I dont see these being made in big numbers.

Redrocket

CBR650R
Mar 17, 2023
Riding Since
The thing about Aprilias is that nobody in their right mind pays full price. They depreciate quickly and there are often deals to be had. The real price difference is less than the difference between rrp. I like them, but having another bike from the Piaggio stable as well as my CBR, I wouldn’t buy one.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
The thing about Aprilias is that nobody in their right mind pays full price. They depreciate quickly and there are often deals to be had. The real price difference is less than the difference between rrp.
In the US at least they do sell at mostly close to MSRP. I was originally looking to get one to replace my Ducati and found pricing wasn't great, nor was for and finish for the price and settled on the STR765 due to "value" and what you got for that price. I didn't feel the Aprilia was worth what they are asking and getting.

Jman1029

CBR650R ABS
May 5, 2024
Riding Since
Would absolutely love a Daytona 660. I love the triple sound, i think the bike looks beautiful, and it has some very impressive torque numbers and a great 0-60, however i think the dash is butt ugly. Make a Daytona with a CBR650R style screen display and i would be all over it (in a few years when its cheaper lol.)

Edit: It also looks extremely nimble even for its weight, i think itll be ranked pretty high in the 650 class.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
I would not buy a Triumph

I'll never buy anything but Japanese bikes. Best in the world
That's too bad you have such a narrow view. I've had good bikes, great bikes and bad bikes over the years. Interestingly enough where they were made had very little to do with which way it turned out. Interesting you say that because your CBR was not built in Japan.

My Triumph '24 Street Triple 765RS is one of the better built bikes I've owned in the past 10-15 years. And it was built in Taiwan Thailand like your CBR. MUCH better build quality than my '14 CBR650F, '17 Ducati Supersport and '20 Tracer GT.

YMMV.

Redrocket

CBR650R
Mar 17, 2023
Riding Since
My CBR was built in Thailand, not Taiwan, as was my Thruxton. and two other recent Hondas I've owned. The key point is who designed the bike, production process and QA system. If it's Triumph or Honda it doesn't matter who assembles them.

Motojack

CBR650R
May 26, 2019
I supose the sentiment is that jap bikes are better built due to their long history of mass production reasearch and QA as well as lessons learnt during racing. Whether that's right or wrong I cant say but I wouldenent turn down a triumph, ktm or ducati myself if i had the money.

My previous mechanic also shared this sentiment. Its seems to be fairly prevalent. I supose it's just easier working on jap bikes theres not much surprises.

Redrocket

CBR650R
Mar 17, 2023
Riding Since
I wouldn't buy anything Italian except perhaps Ducati. Having been badly bitten by my experience with a 2021 Moto Guzzi I'll never buy anything by Piaggio. Nor would I buy KTM, not known as the most reliable bikes and also bad for knocking £1000s off the price of last year's model, ruining the value of used bikes, plus their nasty habit of disabling the useful tech unless the customer coughs up extra ££££ within a few weeks of purchase.

Top Bottom