• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

What should we expect for the new 650r 2024 model?

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Webike world guesses a lot and is known to be very wrong quite often. They also can hit things right on the head, fewer and farther between than their guesses, but I personally don’t see Honda sticking any new tech into a platform they are preparing to shut down.

If I had to guess, they’ll be a Hornet based CBR750R with that E clutch if it breaks cover in ‘24. Otherwise they’ll have ‘24s to clear out old stock but that’s the 10 year end of the 4cyl 650.

But I’m guessing as well :)

petemossuk

CB650R ABS
Oct 3, 2023
Riding Since
Morning all, i'm currently looking for a CB650R and am debating whether to wait till the new year in the hope that something new is coming or get the current model now. There isn't much online about 2024 models that I could find, does anyone have any more info?

Thanks

Cláudio Nogueira

CB650R ABS
Jan 26, 2022
Portugal
Riding Since
Hello.

I´m with @ miweber929 miweber929. I believe this bike will be discontinued in the years to come, as soon as the sales (drop) impose it.
Honda clearly have been investing in the most market successful formula and the result is the Hornet 750.

:vomit:

Why would we need more tech on the CB? Its simplicity is the formula of it´s success and what makes people like me to love it. All I need is something to seat on, that allows me to ride, without getting distracted by useless gadgetry. My opinion, as usual.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Morning all, i'm currently looking for a CB650R and am debating whether to wait till the new year in the hope that something new is coming or get the current model now. There isn't much online about 2024 models that I could find, does anyone have any more info?

Thanks
We probably won’t know for sure for another month or so, it’s usually later October/November when Honda announces plans unless it’s a hugely revamped or new model. So my guess is with nothing at this point it will be BNG (bold, new graphics), same old/same old, or discontinued and clear out old inventory.

JH09

CB650R ABS
Jul 29, 2020
Riding Since
i am kind of hoping for discontinued, makes our bikes worth more! 😂

Cláudio Nogueira

CB650R ABS
Jan 26, 2022
Portugal
Riding Since
A water pump that doesn't leak oil would be nice.
Recently I tested a Hornet and a Transalp. They have a new coolant pump construction, they are internal and if I understood right, they will not leak oil anymore but both had allot of blue gunk already coming from pump weeping hole! Not sure if they made a real improvement in pumps!

Goblin

CB650R ABS
Sep 2, 2019
If Honda really wants to freshen up the CB and CBR line for 2024, they would benefit with a new display (TFT)! The old one always suffered from a lack of brightness. But I think they would probably come out with a new color. But if you look at the new trend of two cylinder engines, I think there is a possibility that they will slowly fade them out and come up with a new replacement for the CBR in a two cylinder configuration (like Yamaha did with there new R7) For the CB there are alternatives like the new Hornet. Maybe the Hornet will become the new platform for a new and improved CBR 🤣

Goblin

CB650R ABS
Sep 2, 2019
Honda just unveiled there new E-Clutch for the CB1000R and claimed by Honda also for other models. So maybe Honda will surprise us with the new 2024 lineup 😁😁

Cláudio Nogueira

CB650R ABS
Jan 26, 2022
Portugal
Riding Since
Honda just unveiled there new E-Clutch for the CB1000R and claimed by Honda also for other models. So maybe Honda will surprise us with the new 2024 lineup 😁😁

I'm not sure if I need to add this complexity to my life! Hydraulic smotheness and modulation would be just fine.
I rode bicycles all my life and the more shifting is electrified and "wirelessized", the more I like cables and housings.
Why do I need an electronically actuated cluth?! I didn´t ever dream about it!!
Makers seem to be on a market competition and we are invited to pay the price. Tsss!

Goblin

CB650R ABS
Sep 2, 2019
I'm not sure if I need to add this complexity to my life! Hydraulic smotheness and modulation would be just fine.
I rode bicycles all my life and the more shifting is electrified and "wirelessized", the more I like cables and housings.
Why do I need an electronically actuated cluth?! I didn´t ever dream about it!!
Makers seem to be on a market competition and we are invited to pay the price. Tsss!
Yep they invent all kinds of new features for us to enjoy “or not” and to compete with other brands. It’s a true competition in bike world, who’s got the most electric shit on there bikes 🤣🤣. But I’m always openminded about new stuff before I’ll trash it 🤣🤣 and I’m used to complexity, I’m married 🥴

Last edited:

Goblin

CB650R ABS
Sep 2, 2019

ram_PT

CBR650R ABS
Aug 9, 2023
Riding Since
Well, i'm waiting for the October unveil event to decide if i pull the trigger on the today's model or wait for what's coming.
If it is a twin cylinder it's not for me.
As previously said, a TFT would be great, some new electronics similar to the one found in the Hornet would be nice but there is absolutely no need for electric clutch.
I'm willing to pay a little more for the TFT and electronics pack but e-Clutch, no way.

My guess, we'll get new colors and this will be the last series to be produced.

John Jive

CBR650R
May 10, 2023
Riding Since
Look out for the bike shows. That's when manufacturers unveil their next year's new products

Bran

CBR650R ABS
Aug 31, 2022
uk
Riding Since
most bikes are going twin, its easier to hit the emissions, than a screaming 4 cylinder. I'm biased but think the range is pretty good for road use and occassional track day. so the screens a bit old n dark, I dont look at it anyway. why does a 94bhp bike need umpteen rider modes?

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
most bikes are going twin, its easier to hit the emissions, than a screaming 4 cylinder. I'm biased but think the range is pretty good for road use and occassional track day. so the screens a bit old n dark, I dont look at it anyway. why does a 94bhp bike need umpteen rider modes?
I’m not even convinced it is an emissions thing as much as parts cost (2 less cylinders) and easy to ride powerband. So many people talk about how fun the R7/MT-07/Tracer 7 is to ride and how quick it is when spec wise it’s nothing special but because it’s a twin and tuned torquey it feels “faster” than it is. The 650F/R goes very well but you have to want it to actually feel it.

I also agree that we are in, and have been a while, a time when things don’t have to make sense; rider modes, slipper clutches, traction controls, 6-axis IMUs, etc. are not needed on a sub-100hp bike but people are told they need them so even on a “low” powered motorcycles they come with them or considered old tech. I’m not hating a tuned down rain mode, ABS, etc. on a beginner bike but the tech that’s expected is overkill.

Bran

CBR650R ABS
Aug 31, 2022
uk
Riding Since
I quite like using the gearbox to give me engine breaking going into corners and trashing it out. Im not a fast rider by any stretch but using the engine on a "lower powered" bike is more fun than sitting about in the same gear doesn't do it fir .e.

Top Bottom